Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Earthquake in Shizuoka



I was mistakenly not worried about one of my advisees when I thought that she was safe back in her hometown in Shizuoka Prefecture. I jumped off my couch when I felt the earthquake around 10:30 PM last night and when I heard that it was a 6+ in Shizuoka. Fortunately all seems to be OK as the buildings in Japan are really earthquake proof.

The government has announced power cuts in Chiba today as well, so I guess we'll continue having transportation difficulties and we'll remain short in gasoline and food. This will be my 4th day inside the house.

Professor Arboleda had taken some photos during our evacuation at JIU. I was freezing cold and was trying to get some heat from a student and keep it using that special golden sheet. It worked. At that time we still didn't know about the tsunami and we didn't know we were going to have to stay on campus either.

No comments:

Post a Comment