Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Interview with a Scholarship Student at UCR


I interviewed two of the students who are participating in the JIU Scholarship Program at UCR.

MSI: Is this your first time in the USA?
Shota Ikeda:Yes. I've been to France before, but it's my first time in America.
MSI: What was your first impression of California?
SI: I felt it was really hot here. I thought it was summer in California. On our way from LAX to Riverside, I thought the road condition was not very good. The views were nice, but the road was bumpy. I saw beautiful places that could be in any good movie.
MSI: Yeah, when we left Japan it was snowing, so it felt really good to be in good weather. Have you been to nice places yet?
SI: I went to Magic Mountain on Sunday. Actually, I didn't like roller coasters until I went there, but I rode so many there and I like them now. American roller coasters are very exciting and now I think I can ride on all coasters in Japan.
MSI: I'm glad to hear that, but I am not a fan of crazy rides. Have you been to other places?
SI: I went to Santa Monica Beach on Saturday. It was also a very beautiful place. It was warm there but it's not humid here, so it felt quite pleasant in the shade.
MSI: Your classes started yesterday. How is everything going?
SI: It's going well, but yesterday I couldn't understand everything. The teacher and classmates spoke English really fast and they all speak English with a different accent.
MSI: Where are your classmates from?
SI: China, Korea, Vietnam, Saudi Arabia and Spain.
MSI: What classes are you taking?
SI: Every morning I have Reading, Grammar and Oral Skills Development. Sometimes I take Listening and American Idioms in the afternoon.
MSI: What are you most looking forward to accomplishing while in Riverside?
SI: Of course besides doing well in classes, I would like to have a life-long relationship with my homestay family.
MSI: Tell us a little about them.
SI: I like them a lot. The mother is from South America and she has three good kids. They talk to me a lot. I teach them about Japanese culture and they teach me English. I'm always in the living room with them.
MSI: I'm very glad to hear that. I hope you'll be able to invite them to Japan one day.


No comments:

Post a Comment